6.02.2007

Flex

[The New Series on "Diary of A Saved Man": Pilot Episode]

Working in a gym grants me the privilege to work out for free. One of our members commented on how my body had changed the other day. My look is the product of being in that environment for almost four years now. My attitude toward health is different now. I had been into weight-lifting for years but like most people, I missed days, I didn't push myself as much at times, I thought I could eat what I wanted and then work out and all would be well. But watching my co-workers train has inspired me. In addition, I work in a place where our crowd is much older and seeing those people in their later years still make the effort is unbelievable. Just to witness their health and dedication lets me know that I can have that too once I age. So these days I lift three days a week and do cardiovascular the other four. (I'm still struggling with the cardio though but I'm there.)

Isaiah 40:31: "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

I'm learning how to flex my faith muscles now. My time in the desert is more intense these days. Financially I'm struggling more than ever before. There are things that absolutely need to be taken care of and soon. So I'm on the bench press of faith. God's adding more weight and He's even spotting me. But man, I don't like it. I look up at Him. It's like ok, on three. "One, two, three ..." I pick it up and slowly drop in on my chest. Man, this is heavy.

Panic.

Breathe.

The sweat of anxiety begins to run down my soul.

Fear and doubt are coming in as my spiritual arms begin to tremble.

Breathe. Don't freak out.

What's going to happen next?

Will I get hurt?

I push.

I break the rules. I try to arch my back. Could cause injury.

It's not working.

I hold my breath.

So I ask for help. ...

His fingers grasps the bar. He pulls some, I push more.

It's working. I'm lifting the weight.

Just thinking to myself: "Jesus, maybe we had taken off about 10 pounds, I could have handled this."

If I could handle it, I wouldn't need a spotter. And truth be told, I don't use a spotter. I don't need one. I never lift too much. I'll keep it safe. I know my limits.

I worked out once with one of the trainers. For a one-hour workout, I was sore for four days.

I see now that I'll go to my limits and stop. If I was willing to go to someone who was further along than me, someone to push me even more, I could get even stronger. I've learned over the past few years to stop isolating and to be accountable and listen. In my distress, I pray, I make a phone call for support. I talk to share my weakness with others. I've found intimacy with God and with others. And the past few months has showed me that it's working. I can lift more weight. But I can't stop when it gets tough. I'll lose the muscle if I give up. If I go back and not push, I may tone up, but there probably won't be an increase in strength. I'll never know my full potential.

And you wont' either if you always desire to stay comfortable with the weight you have.

Man it's really tough being God's display of spendor (Isaiah 61:3).

[Credits]

No comments: