12.05.2005

Face To Face

We gravitate toward people that make us feel good.

True relationships are what we seek but really have no idea what we're asking for. I learned recently the reason behind accountability. The truth spoken from the outside. I lie to myself a lot. I can give you just enough of the truth to make you think what I want you to. I came face to face with myself over the weekend. A friend called me out on my self-centeredness and my bad habits. He threw out some recommendations for help. It took a couple of days to sink in. While I may still disagree in some areas, the bottom line is that sin is sin. I love helping people out of their mess. Why don't I want the same for mysef? I do at times. But then this cross-bearing gets hard and I don't want to anymore. "Living the life" throughout the week is tough. Especially when you've been doing it your way most of your life ... like me.

The hard truth, it's not about me. It never has been. It's about God and what He wants.

It's not about you. It's about God and what He wants.

"Anything crooked in the life must be straightened, any stumbling blocks removed. Low levels of spiritual living must be raised, and rough character polished. Areas of neglect must be remedied, and relationships adjusted. This is something for which we alone are responsible, but the Holy Spirit will cooperate with us to this end."

-- From "Enjoying Intimacy with God," J. Oswald Sanders, p. 29

1 comment:

David Wofford said...

I think you're COMPLETELY right...but please remember to be glorified in your intentions in the Lord. There comes a point in our lives that we are forced to have confidence in the Lord and that includes ourselves.

I'm not suggesting that your self-centeredness only benefit you. However, "a man gotta eat" and "a man gotta live." That's to say, your desires can and should be His desires.

My 10 cents of advice: focus on your selfish desires that the Lord agrees to allow. For example: He wants you to be fit (can be selfish but can also be glorifying), He wants you to be with a spouse (definitely can be self-satisfying but again, glorifies Him), taking a vocational position that you embrace and accepts pay for (yes, 500K may be rediculous but He is interested in you being and agent of giving and love and that job would enable this trait).

That'll be 10 cents...